NCIS membership benefits include travel and research grants, member discounts and academic support. NCIS offers several membership levels, so compare various benefits here.
- MEMBER PROFILE PAGE Receive a free, easily updated webpage on the NCIS website where you may display a profile, resume, and photos.
- Membership Card will be mailed to you automatically upon joining. Present your membership card at research institutions as proof of NCIS affiliation. Enquiries to email@example.com
- NCIS.org email address: Apply for an @ncis.org email address to use for your academic contacts through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Personalized Business Cards: Members may order personalized NCIS business cards through the NCIS website.
- NCIS Member Logo: Proudly display your NCIS affiliation and use it in your correspondence, display it on your emails, website, blog, and social media accounts.
- NCIS letters of introduction to access collections or other resources. Simply place a request at least three weeks in advance.
- Helpsheets and Advice: In the Members Only area of the website you will find resources on essential academic skills such as turning your written research into an oral presentation (and vice versa); translating your work; getting your book published; and chairing a conference session.
ACADEMIC OPPORTUNITIES & RESOURCES
- Peer Reviewed Journal: The Independent Scholar (TIS) is the peer-reviewed, open access online journal of NCIS; past issues can be viewed on the website. All NCIS members and members of NCIS-affiliated groups are eligible to submit manuscripts for review. A CFP is also issued at various points during the year, but submissions can be sent to email@example.com at any time. See submission and review guidelines.
- Book Reviewing: We welcome members' academic books for review, and also encourage you to offer your services as a book reviewer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 'How-to' resources: on presenting conference papers, chairing conference sessions, and publishing your work are all available to members. Log in to the Members Only area of the website.
Grant awards offered by NCIS (only Full Members who have been fully paid up members for 18mths are eligible to apply. Associate members are not eligible.):
- NCIS Research Grants (funded by NCIS)
- NCIS Conference Support Grants (funded by NCIS)
- Elizabeth Eisenstein Essay Prize (jointly funded by NCIS and the family of Professor Eisenstein)
Grant awards administered by NCIS (all paid-up members may apply):
- Dorbrecht Grant (funded by the Orphiflamme Foundation and the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund, to fund research on Judaism and Yoga)
- Karp Grant (funded by David Karp through the JCF)
- Fiscal Administration of Institutional Grants Many agencies award funds exclusively to institutions, and NCIS members may apply for funding using NCIS as a fiscal administrator.
- Grant Opportunities News about grants open to independent scholars is posted regularly on social media.
See Grants page, or contact email@example.com
- JSTOR Journal Access discounted JPASS journal access through JSTOR. Visit http://www.ncis.org/members-only/jpass-access to register. (Member login required.)
- Nota Bene software for academic writing and research. Excellent (30%) discount across all products are available for NCIS members. Go to www.notabene.com and enter the group code. https://www.notabene.com/secure/order_forms/all.html.
- Professional Writing and Translation Services Discounts on professional services from NCIS members. Editors offer general manuscript critique, proofreading, and in-depth content editing, while featured translators specialize in academic texts
- NCIS events: Reduced registration rate for for NCIS conferences and accommodation
- Collegial Support Services Need a critique of your article, book chapter, or grant proposal before submitting it to a publisher or grant agency? Swap your paper with an NCIS member and receive a peer review of your work. Collegial support is offered by one NCIS member to another without charge.
- Regional Member Gatherings In addition to NCIS' national conferences, we encourage members to meet for informal local events. Such gatherings facilitate member networking, introduce new people to NCIS, and can form the basis for creating regional affiliated societies. Should you wish to host or help organize a local meeting in your area please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NCIS Conferences at major academic institutions, the next being scheduled for 2019 in New England, USA
To learn more about these benefits, to make a suggestion, or to volunteer a few hours of your time to ensure we can continue to offer these benefits, please contact email@example.com.