Membership in NCIS provides affiliation and an identity for the Independent Scholar.
NCIS welcomes scholars who are pursuing knowledge in or across any field who are not affiliated with an institution of higher learning in a tenure track position. Scholars who are contingent faculty or part-time faculty are welcome to join. Candidates must provide evidence of scholarly production, including articles in peer-reviewed journals, presentations at conferences of scholarly societies, books, or, for candidates in the fine arts, exhibitions of work in juried shows, etc. This is accomplished by uploading a current CV (as a .doc, .docx, .rtf, or .pdf file) when creating a member account. Submission of a CV is required of all applicants. The Membership Committee reserves the right to reject applications which do not reflect credentials of merit as independent scholars or credentials which cannot be verified. Review by the membership committee will take place within two weeks of an applicant member joining, and all dues paid will be refunded if an applicant does not meet the requirements.
How to join NCIS
Click here to create the username and password you will use to access the site as a member, and pay your membership dues using PayPal. Dues may also be paid by check (see payment details below). The NCIS membership dues are:
- Associate Membership: One Year - $40
- Regular Membership: One Year - $50, Two Years - $90, Three Years - $120
- Contributing Membership: One Year - $85, Two Years - $160, Three Years - $235
- Sustaining Membership: One Year - $125, Two Years - $240, Three Years - $345
- Life Membership - $1500
Affiliate fees are as follows.
- Organizations under 30 members: One Year, $30
- Organizations of 30-100 members: One Year, $55
- Organizations over 100 members: One Year, $110
Membership queries may be addressed to the NCIS membership chair at firstname.lastname@example.org