NCIS membership offers opportunities for travel and research grants, member discounts to journals and services and more academic support. NCIS offers several membership levels--compare various benefits here.
MEMBER PROFILE PAGE As a member you receive a free, easily updated webpage on the NCIS website where you may display a profile, resume, and photos.
Membership Card will be mailed to you automatically upon joining. Present your membership card at research institutions as proof of NCIS affiliation. Enquiries to email@example.com
Personalized Business Cards: Members may order personalized NCIS business cards through the NCIS website.
NCIS Member Logo: Proudly display your NCIS affiliation and use it in your correspondence, display it on your emails, website, blog, and social media accounts.
NCIS.org email address: Apply for an @ncis.org email address to use for your academic contacts through firstname.lastname@example.org
NCIS letters of introduction to access collections or other resources. Simply place a request at least three weeks in advance.
Helpsheets and Advice: In the Members Only area of the website you will find resources on essential academic skills such as turning your written research into an oral presentation (and vice versa); translating your work; getting your book published; and chairing a conference session.
ACADEMIC OPPORTUNITIES & RESOURCES
- Peer Reviewed Journal: The Independent Scholar (TIS) is the peer-reviewed, open access online journal of NCIS and past issues can be viewed on the website. All NCIS members and affiliate members are eligible to submit manuscripts for review, and submissions can be sent to email@example.com at any time. A formal CFP is issued in January/February each year. More information on submission and review guidelines.
- Book Reviewing: We welcome members' academic books for review, and also encourage you to offer your services as a book reviewer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 'How-to' resources: on presenting conference papers, chairing conference sessions, and publishing your work are all available to Members Only.
Grant awards offered by NCIS:
- NCIS Research Grants (funded by NCIS)
- NCIS Conference Support Grants (funded by NCIS)
- Elizabeth Eisenstein Essay Prize (jointly funded by NCIS and Margaret DeLacy. Margaret DeLacy is the daughter of Professor Eisenstein and one of the founders of NCIS)
Grant awards administered by NCIS:
- Dorbrecht Grant (funded by the Orphiflamme Foundation and the Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund, to fund research on Judaism and Yoga)
- Karp Grant (funded by David Karp through the JCF)
- Fiscal Administration of Institutional Grants Many agencies award funds exclusively to institutions, and NCIS members may apply for funding using NCIS as a fiscal administrator.
- Grant Opportunities A directory of grants available to independent scholars across many disciplines appears on the website, and news about grants open to independent scholars is posted regularly on social media.
More information on all NCIS grants and NCIS-administered grants can be found on the Grants page of this site, or contact email@example.com
JSTOR Journal Access 50% discount on JPASS journal access through JSTOR. Login to ncis.org and visit http://www.ncis.org/members-only/jpass-access to register
Nota Bene software for academic writing and research. Excellent (30%) discount across all products are available for NCIS members. Go to www.notabene.com and enter the group code NCIS2016. https://www.notabene.com/secure/order_forms/all.html.
Professional Writing and Translation Services Discounts on professional services from NCIS members. Editors offer general manuscript critique, proofreading, and in-depth content editing, while featured translators specialize in academic texts
NCIS events: Reduced registration rate for for NCIS conferences and accommodation
Discussion groups on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, H-Scholar, Interest Group Discussion Forum (IGDF) and Open Dialog Listserv (ODL)
Membership Directory Members' specialisms listed in our searchable Membership Directory enable you to find others in your research disciplines or in your geographical area
Collegial Support Services Need a critique of your article, book chapter, or grant proposal before submitting it to a publisher or grant agency? Swap your paper with an NCIS member and receive a peer review of your work. Collegial support is offered by one NCIS member to another without charge.
Regional Member Gatherings In addition to NCIS' national conferences, we encourage members to meet for informal local events. Such gatherings facilitate member networking, introduce new people to NCIS, and can form the basis for creating regional affiliated societies. Should you wish to host or help organize a local meeting in your area please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
NCIS Conferences at major academic institutions
To learn more about these benefits, to make a suggestion, or to volunteer a few hours of your time to ensure we can continue to offer these benefits, please contact email@example.com.